Wednesday, December 29, 2010

THIS IS YOGA HOME PRACTICE




WITH: MAYA RAY
WHERE: BROOKLYN, NY




WHEN DID YOU START PRACTICING YOGA?

I started practicing yoga at Oberlin college in 2001.

WHAT LED YOU TO YOGA?

I had always wanted to do it. It was the cool class to take so I took it.




WHO WAS YOUR FIRST TEACHER?

Eric Stewart. In order to take his class you had to bring 2 blankets, 1 strap, and a mat with you to every class. He supplied the blocks. It was basically an Iyengar class with 30 college kids in a dance studio.

WHO ARE YOUR CURRENT TEACHERS?

I have a lot of them. Jenny Arthur, Chrissy Carter, Jodie Rufty, Jillian Pransky, Judith Lasater, Leslie Kaminoff….

I am so lucky to have so many amazing teachers!



WHAT DOES YOUR HOME PRACTICE CONSIST OF?

Lately I am interested in very basic postures. This year I has been about beginners classes and poses..I am trying to backup and find out where some injuries came from and how to get rid of them.


WHAT ARE YOU PRACTICING CURRENTLY?

I’m working on taking my handstand away from the wall. Janu sirsasana and supported pigeon with a bolster…I just love that pose. And I’m a bit obsessed with savasana….a year ago I started doing 20 minute savasanas and it has been amazing.







HOW OFTEN DO YOU PRACTICE?

About 5-6 days a week. But this is not all at home. Sometimes I practice in an empty YogaWorks studio..and I take classes.

MORNING OR NIGHT? WHY?

I don’t have a set time. I practice when I can. Sometimes for 20 minutes if that’s what I have.



WHEN DID YOU START A HOME PRACTICE?

During my first teacher training in 2007 I started my home practice…but I never did savasana. It’s only been the the last two years the I have had a more consistent home practice…and now I take a 20 minute savasana.






THANKS MAYA!



















No comments:

Post a Comment